Five Ways to Take Control of Your Potential
And… a quick self test!
What does taking control of your potential mean? How can you optimize potential at a speed of change, challenges, opportunities and chaos that is unprecedented? Here are Five Lessons learned from many years of studying, doing and coaching/training/advising CEO’s, executives, senior managers, managers, HR/training professionals, sales professionals, realtors, teachers, professors, screenwriters, entrepreneur, healthcare and legal professionals…People at the top of their game, in the middle and also others who hit and wall and crashed. People who are now communicating, collaborating & leading forward!
1. Reach. Use tools, strategies that help you redirect focus, and focus faster in the face of change, challenges and opportunities. Focus is the mother of success and creativity is its kissing cousin. Like money or nuclear power focus can be used to optimize or derail potential. Simple tools, geared to your personality, your learning style, your career or organizational objectives can help you focus faster, better on what really counts while helping you learn, ideate, communicate and collaborate faster and better. Build reach, focus on what will help you learn, collaborate and succeed forward.
2. Empower. Ideation, communication and collaboration are the new anchors of success. Take control over your potential. Find a collaborative partner, an executive coach or advisor whose only agenda is your success; and whose skills and experience can help you not only get greater clarity around your potential while helping you also see the potential in people and ideas/opportunities around you. Develop new ways of thinking, communicating, doing and failing forward that will drive empowerment and engagement at the speed of change. Recognize that your power to learn and relearn is pivotal to your success and the success of those you lead. Teach-Learn-Do-Lead.
3. Actualize potential by seeing the forest for the trees. See the bottom line. Potential is optimized by our ability to feel that we are contributing. Understanding your own purpose, and helping those you lead see the purpose in their work, their skills their abilities is critical to leading forward both in terms of employee engagement, stakeholder engagement and the csr initiatives that will continue to become more important to successful organizations and their footprint in the marketplace and community. Remember that purpose = profit
4. Communicate more effectively across competitive lines, cultural lines and in the face of conflict or challenges in communication and career. Put your money where your mouth is. Your verbal, written and digital/social communication counts. Learn how to best position your words in a way that empowers, engages others. Start developing communication skills that will help you optimize your potential and the potential of others. Develop the communication skills and marketing collaterals that can help you move past career transition or other blips in the road, faster and better. Use your self talk, your thoughts, your words to build better relationships, improved collaboration with yourself, your direct reports, colleagues, bosses, vendors, stakeholders. Use YOUR words to communicate, collaborate and LEAD forward
5. Harvest your potential and the potential of others. See your challenges, strengths, wins and failures with new eyes that optimize and catalyze your potential. Let go of anger, frustration, reactivity or stasis. Embrace your ability to harvest the best in yourself and others. Communicate, collaborate and LEAD forward by developing 3Q strengths that drive reach, resonance and results at a speed of change. Learn to use not only your strengths but challenges and failures to build three key strengths that you can actualize under stress: Q1 IQ (Intellectual capacity-Ideation) Q2 Emotional Intelligence (Perceiving, Reasoning, Understanding and Managing Emotions | Self Awareness and Awareness of Others) Q3 Spiritual Quotient- The alignment with and to your highest values, purpose and power. ) R-E-A-C-H, harvest potential. Develop YOUR 3Q Edge™.
Quick Self Test: Is Your Potential Derailed or Engaged?
|Is Your Potential Derailed?
|Is Your Potential Engaged?
|Easily fatigued or exhausted?||Energized, motivated?|
|Working in a messy or disorganized space or fashion?||Working in a neat organized space and with a modus operendi that maximizes results?|
|Disinterested or frustrated by our job?||Engaged, empowered and challenged by your work?|
|Easily stressed, angered or in a constant internal state of strife?||Using challenges and strengths to learn, lead and communicate better and faster?|
|Frustrated with your direct reports, and stymied by teambuilding problems, turf wars or passive aggressive behaviors that derail team dynamics and results?||Helping those you lead optimize, humanize and monetize results by finding new ways to improve ideation, learning, communicating, collaborating…doing.|
|Stuck in a negative rut, seeing no way to improve your performance or the performance of others?||Constantly looking for ways to use both strengths and challenges to improve the way you learn, communicate and collaborate?|
|Easily confused or frustrated by the actions of others?||Focused, energized and ready to meet goals and objectives?|
|Focused on who is against you rather than how you can build collaboration, cooperation and results?||Developing the reach and resonance you need to succeed through verbal/inter-personal, written/digital-social communication?|
|Frantically putting out fires and reacting to emergencies?||Responding, rather than reacting to challenges using them to develop new ways of thinking, communicating and doing that help prevent emergency situations?|
|Disengaged unable to think of ways to drive greater engagement and productivity?||Do you have good ideas for increasing engagement and productivity; ideas you will build upon, use and execute?|
If you answered yes to one or more of the derailment questions, it is time to seriously consider moving your potential forward. Success is not achieve alone, and finding an executive coach, advisor or a program that can help you optimize your potential and communication strengths is not only critical to your job, but to your health and welfare. Buyer beware: The World Health Organization forecasts that stress will be the major cause of physical disability in the world by 2020. Moving past challenges, finding new ways to use them to empower, engage and lead the best in yourself and others might be the most important investment you make this year.
More on Agile Management and Leadership? You Betcha!
The Agile Management Toolbox
Guest Post: Ten Steps to Building Employee Engagement, Switch & Shift Blog
Video on Developing R-E-A-C-H (Leadership Development)
A Great Team is the Sum of Its Parts
The Thriving Organization
Seven Ways to Turn Conflict Around
Ten Top Leadership & Communication Posts
Great Read Review & Excerpts:
Full Steam Ahead by Jesse Lyn Stoner and Ken Blanchard
The Power of Communication by Helio Fred Garcia
Business at the Speed of Now by John M Bernard
Managing with a Conscience by Frank Sonnenberg
Is it time to REACH- Redirect-empower-actualize-communicate and harvest YOUR potential to lead forward?
Get Executive Coaching, Training that Sticks?
Enjoy an insightful and inspiring keynote? Just Coach It for reach, resonance, results.
Executive Coaching, Consulting, Keynotes and Workshops with as 3Q Edge™
Irene Becker, Chief Success Officer, Just Coach It–The 3Q Edge™| Reach-Resonance-Results
Toronto and Virtually Everywhere | Face-Face, By Tel, Skype or Video Conferencing
www.justcoachit.com Tel: 1-416-671-4726 Email: irene@justcoachitcom
Twitter @justcoachit Skype: beckerirene
@justcoachit # 5 Canada, #363 English #855 Globally Most Recommended on Twitter