Motivational Monday: Happiness & Success
Get inspired and motivated because science confirms that you can prime your brain for greater happiness and success. Choose one step and try it out every day this week because you’ll be surprised at the difference one small step can make in your happiness and success!
Ten Tips to Prime Your Brain for Success (originally published on Jesse Stoner’s blog)
“I appreciated this video of Irene Becker, first female CEO of a steel company in Canada, where she shared her personal story of great achievements and losses. Her experience uniquely positions her as an expert on the topic of the relationship between happiness and success. ” Jesse Lyn Stoner
➣ That’s right. Happiness must come before success. Staying stuck in a negative rut, dwelling on problems versus being solution oriented will not help you succeed, and it will contribute to what the World Health Organization tells us will be the major cause of disability by 2020—stress, negativity, disengagement.
➣ What exactly does brain science tell us? Most of us were trained to think that success leads to happiness. We now know, through neuroimaging and other longitudinal scientific studies, that achieving success in a rapidly changing and often chaotic world, workplace and marketplace demands a whole new skill set.
1. Talk nice to yourself! Celebrate every win in your mind’s eye no matter how small. Pay attention to the positive.
2. Connect, get social. Talk to people you care about; talk to people you work with. Make social connections.
3. Hug. Hugs stimulate oxytocin, the “love hormone,” spreading a feel-good boost.
4. Make love. Yes, it’s no surprise that lovemaking boosts happiness levels!
5. Keep a gratitude journal. Writing about what you are thankful for both helps retrain your brain to be more optimistic and positively impacts your health!
6. Get physical. Physical activity is a significant happiness booster. Exercising for 30 minutes a day can take up to 7 years off your chronological age! And, it eases stress, improves sleep, strengthens immunity, and increases happiness.
7. Help others. Altruism makes us happier and stronger. Volunteer at a soup kitchen, hospital, or shelter.
8. Go outside, spend time with Mother Nature. It will make you feel more alert, enthusiastic, energetic, and happy.
9. Take two minutes or less to be mindful! If you don’t meditate regularly, spend a few minutes several times a day being mindful of your breathing.
10. Get silly, embrace the kid in you. Enjoy a good joke, watch a funny video, smile, enjoy a great comedy. Laughing is a great way to exercise your brain and give your body a mini aerobic workout!
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Priming your brain to be positive will help you achieve greater success and well-being. It is time to win the most important war we face; a silent war that is eroding purpose, potential and sustainability every day. The World Health Organization says that anxiety and depression will be the leading cause of physical disability in the world by 2020. If you are not unhappy, and if your potential is not being limited, someone you know, work for, lead or love is stuck in a rut, a thinking rut, an emotional rut that can destroy their life. Read about winning the silent war before us.
More? You Betcha
Essential Reading for CEO’s and Leaders
Happiness Recovery: Ten Actionable Steps
How to Survive and Thrive in Times of Uncertainty
The Secret to Personal Development and Growth
I Will Not Be Broken-The Call to Build a Better Future
Are you ready to use what is to create what can be in yourself, your team, your business or organization? Develop the 3Q Leadership strengths that move mountains and molehills? Bust toxic stress? Recharge, refocus and repurpose with a lunch and learn, workshop or keynote? Reach out and I will reach back: firstname.lastname@example.org
Executive Coaching, Consulting & Keynotes with a 3Q Edge
For Powerful Results in Disruptive/Turbulent Times
Irene (1) 416-671-4726 Skype: beckerirene
Irene’s assistant, Drew Jones, (1) 737-5075